I am trying to adopt a new habit of making something for David to take to work to eat for breakfast. He never eats anything before leaving for work, but after he has been there for a few hours, he will eat breakfast. He’s not always good about telling me that he wants something, so I’ve been trying to look for new things to make. I like this because it gives me a baking outlet, and I know he’s eating something better than a pop tart.
He’s been really into bananas lately, so I decided to make these banana muffins. They’ve been getting rave reviews on allrecipes.com for the past several years. I first discovered and made them about two years ago, but haven’t put them in my blog until now. They are the best banana muffins I’ve made! They are nice and moist with a full banana flavor. Even better is the streusel topping- can you really go wrong? The recipe actually provides ample topping for the muffins. These are nice and sweet, but not overly so, which makes them a perfect morning snack.
Banana Crumb Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.